Steps to Planning Your Rogue Rafting Trip
I don't know about you, but for us one of our favorite parts of any vacation is the planning for it. To give suggestions just how to do that for a Rogue River Trip is tough to do. We can recommend things to bring, ways to be prepared for the trip, as you will see below. But in addition I do suggest having some fun in the preparation. Getting your group together before the trip to discuss, reading a little about the history of the Rogue, or even visiting our blog on occasion to catch the latest updates of the season all ads to the anticipation of this great trip.
Please call us with any questions:
Your Hosts: Craig & Tina Hughson
Email Us Here: info@rogueriveroutfitters
These easy steps are designed to make your trip run as smoothly as possible.
STEP 1: Sign your trip release form. We will mail you a trip release form in your packet after you have booked your trip. Please take the time to read the waiver. Sign, date and fax or mail back to us. If you should have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us. All guests must sign the waiver prior to trip start date.
STEP 2: We will make arrangements for your car to be shuttled from Argo. Your car on day 3 will be down river at the take out location at Foster Bar. Please bring payment of $100. in cash or check form to the morning put in. Tina will collect info then. If your group is interested in a van shuttle please contact Sharon McCall, 541-479-1042 www.affordableshuttles.net before you arrive for your trip.
STEP 3: Pack your luggage as directed on the “Things To Bring List?". Your luggage will be repacked in waterproof bags at launch site, so please follow directions. Any excess luggage will be left behind. We will have waterproof bags for your sleeping bags separate from your clothing bag. Lodge/Lodge trips: DO NOT NEED SLEEPING BAGS.
STEP 4: Arrive in Grants Pass, Oregon the night prior to you scheduled departure. Below we have a list of Lodges and Motels we recommend in making your stay more enjoyable.
STEP 5: After breakfast at a resturant of your choice you will drive to the Galice Resort (see map). Driving time from Grants Pass is 45 minutes. Meeting time at ARGO is 9:30am.
STEP 6: At this point you will meet your guides and will receive dry bags for your cloths and a day bag for your camera, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc…..
If you should have any questions about any of the above steps, please do not hesitate to give us a call.
STEP 2 Shuttle Service
Please bring payment of $100. in cash or check form to the morning put in. Tina will collect info then. If your group is interested in a van shuttle please contact Sharon McCall, 541-479-1042 www.affordableshuttles.net before you arrive for your trip.
If you happen to be staying at Morrison’s Rogue River Lodge the evening prior to your trip, please feel free to inquire about their shuttle service (Affordable Shuttles) that is available. Morrison’s will deliver you to us at the put in point the morning of your trip.
We recommend having your vehicle driven to the take out point, which cost about $100.00 per vehicle again Tina will collect the money and info needed at Argo. If you have a large group you may want to inquire about van shuttle service. We usually arrive at Foster Bar (the take out point) at 3 p.m. At the end of the trip you will have the option of driving over the mountain to the Grants Pass area or continuing to the Oregon’s Treasure of the South Coast, Beautiful Gold Beach. Here you can enjoy fishing, hiking, or beach combing.
STEP 3 Summer Raft Trip “Things To Bring?"
You will get wet on your raft trip. For your comfort we have made a list of clothing that works best. Stay away from clothing that soaks up a lot of water and takes a long time to dry, like cotton sweatshirts and jeans.
ARRIVE AT RIVER READY TO GO, with your swim suit on and proper river clothing. You may want to have your light nylon pants and jacket on at time of put in.
- 1 Change of clothing for night
- 1 Change of dry shoes for the lodge or camp site
- 1 Pair of sandals that strap on for day use (I suggest TEVA sandals). Tennis shoes for evening.
- 1 Warm jacket or wool shirt
- 1 Set of nylon pants and jacket- good for morning
- Good Sun Hat
- Inexpensive sun glasses and holders to prevent loss
- Greaseless sun screen (non scented) *
- Bug Repellent
- Small flashlight ( for evening )
- Swim suit
- Hand towel and hand mirror, if desired ( for camp trips )
- Personal toilet item ( include biodegradable soap, for camp trips )
- Camera & film in small waterproof bag
- Waterproof dry bags will be provided for your day use
- Maximum two six packs of iced down or cold beverage per person, there will be a cooler at the launch for your use. We recommend you purchase These beverages when you arrive at Galice Store, as beverages need to be Cool when you arrive at launch. We provide soda, water and Lemonade!
CAMP AND LODGE COMBO TRIPS ONLY!
- Sleeping pads will be provided for your use/ Waterproof bags will be provided for your sleeping bag.
- Sleeping bags can be rented for $15.00 (need to reserve at time of conformation)
- Pack no more than 15 lb. per person. All items will be repacked into a waterproof bag (per person). NO SUITCASES ARE ALLOWED. We recommend packing each days change of clothing into large zip-lock bags. This will make re-packing into our special waterproof bags fast and easy.
- Greasy and scented sun screen will attract bugs
- We can not predict the weather, although this time of year is generally hot, if by chance we get unsuspected rain, ponchos will be provide.
STEP 4 Lodging Prior To Trip
We advise advance reservations at a Grants Pass, Oregon lodging facility the night prior to your put in date. We have listed what we feel are a few lodging sights that we have good luck with. All have pools and are air conditioned.
GALICE RESORT: 541-476-3818
Bed & Breakfast “House", this is very close to where we meet
RIVERSIDE MOTEL: 1-800-334-4567 OR 331-4567
Located in Down Town Grants Pass, along the upper Rogue River, centrally
Located with restaurant on premise. www.thelodgeatriverside.com
Holiday Inn Express: (541) 471-6144
Rates about $157
Riverside Inn: (541) 476-6873
Rates about $125-$149
La Quinta: (541) 472-1808
Rates about $94
Shilo Inn: (541) 479-8391
Rates about $90
GRANTS PASS INN: 541-476-1117
Located in Grants Pass, 45 minutes from Galice. Nice accommodations at a
Motel 6: (541) 474-1331
Rates about $42
QUALITY DINNER HOUSE DINNER HOUSES:
Thomsen family owned and operated for 25 years. Great river view with full service restaurant and bar, home style cooked meals, great BBQ buffet, reasonably priced, with live music on the weekends.
The Brewery - Great for family- It has a great menu selection for everyone
509 SW G Street
Tap Rock - More upscale restaurant - next to the Riverside Inn - Reservations are a must for parties over 4
971 SE 6th Street
Si Casa Flores- Mexican restaurant - Great menu selection, wonderful food!
202 NE Beacon Drive
Applebee's - I like this for a nice lunch- Waiting is a must at this place, make reservations!
250 NE Agness Ave.
Elmers Pancake & Steak House- Home cooking meals
Wild River Pizza:
533 Northeast F Street
Grants Pass, OR 97526-2360
Little Italy 541-479-1066
If you need information on Bed & Breakfast or other area business in the Grants Pass Area contact the Grants Pass Chamber at 1-800-547-5927
GOLD BEACH, OREGON
For those of you who intend to stay around the area after your trip, I might suggest traveling 45 minutes from take out to the small town of Gold Beach, Oregon. Located on HWY 101 just 40 miles north of the California-Oregon boarder. Where you can fish, hike or beach comb.